[R] Repeating grey scale in graph?

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Wed Feb 16 17:33:01 CET 2005

Aaaah...the inner workings of R! Now I also see why the colours are not
only repeated, but also 'wrongly' allocated to the facets! Very clear
example!

Indeed a warning or error would have been more helpful!

Cheers,

Sander.

PS: I hope that after all this, I can still convince the creator of the
original data that it is a good idea to plot his graphs in R instead of
excel.  ;-)

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:44:00 +0200, Sander Oom
><slist at oomvanlieshout.net> wrote :
>

>>Thanks Peter!
>>
>>Of course I only have (nx-1)(ny-1) facets in a x*y plot!
>>
>>The help page line:
>>col 	the color(s) of the surface facets. Transparent colours are
>>ignored. This is recycled to the (nx-1)(ny-1) facets.
>>just did not ring a bell.
>>
>>In fact, it is still not clear to me why it recycles the ramp even
>>though it has a surplus of colours (grey levels)! Why not just ignore
>>the surplus colours?
>>

>Your z array is 6 by 7.  Your cols will be mapped to a 5 by 6 array.
>They don't look like an array, because the grey() function stripped
>off the dimension attribute.
>
>The problem is that if you pass the entries from a 6 by 7 array to
>something that expects the entries from a 5 by 6 array, you get things
>in the wrong order.   You see the same effect here:
>

>>rownum <- as.vector(row(matrix(NA, 6, 7)))
>>matrix(rownum, 6, 7)
>>

>     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6] [,7]
>[1,]    1    1    1    1    1    1    1
>[2,]    2    2    2    2    2    2    2
>[3,]    3    3    3    3    3    3    3
>[4,]    4    4    4    4    4    4    4
>[5,]    5    5    5    5    5    5    5
>[6,]    6    6    6    6    6    6    6
>

>>matrix(rownum, 5, 6)
>>

>     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6]
>[1,]    1    6    5    4    3    2
>[2,]    2    1    6    5    4    3
>[3,]    3    2    1    6    5    4
>[4,]    4    3    2    1    6    5
>[5,]    5    4    3    2    1    6
>Warning message:
>data length [42] is not a sub-multiple or multiple of the number of
>rows [5] in matrix
>
>except that in this case you get a warning about the wrong length;
>persp doesn't give you the warning.  Maybe it should?
>
>Duncan Murdoch

Dr. Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3
Wits 2050
South Africa