[R] Positive log-likelihood in lme

Peter Alspach PAlspach at hortresearch.co.nz
Wed Feb 16 23:02:55 CET 2005

Kia ora

I'm a using lme (from nlme package) with data similar to the Orthodont dataset and am getting positive log-likelihoods (>100).  This seems usual and I wondered if someone could offer a possible explanation.

I can supply a sample dataset if requested, but I feel almost certain that this question has been asked and answered recently.  However, I can find no trace of it in the mail archives (although I have spent several hours reading lots of other interesting things :-)).

Thanks .........

Peter Alspach