[R] Easy cut & paste from Excel to R?

Ken Knoblauch knoblauch at lyon.inserm.fr
Thu Feb 17 14:54:46 CET 2005

Hi,

I tried the interesting suggestion below, discussed in several postings
yesterday on the help-list, on my Mac (0S 10.3.7) but could not get it to
work, as shown in the tests indicated below.

>>   read.table(file("clipboard"), sep="\t", dec=",")

If it is obvious (even, if not), can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Do I need to perform an additional operation to open "clipboard", or is this
option not available on Mac? I did not find any special discussion of this in
the FAQ nor searching under "clipboard" in the archives.  Thank you, in
advance, for any enlightenment.

data.frame(matrix(rnorm(12),ncol=3))
          X1          X2          X3
1  0.4276964 -0.49584891  0.02150469
2 -0.8323586 -0.40120649 -1.90733346
3 -0.8954563 -1.33195844 -1.28261484
4  0.4772382 -0.03703087  0.46719156
#At this point, I block-marked the printed output and apple-C'd it into the
clipboard.
#I then checked the clipboard to verify that the data was indeed copied there.
> read.table("clipboard")
Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file `clipboard'
> read.table(file("clipboard"))
Error in open.connection(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file `clipboard'
> read.table(file("clipboard","r"))
Error in file("clipboard", "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file `clipboard'
> read.table(file("clipboard","r"),header=TRUE)
Error in file("clipboard", "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file `clipboard'
>read.delim(file("clipboard","r"),header=TRUE)
Error in file("clipboard", "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file `clipboard'

> file("clipboard")
description       class        mode        text      opened    can read
"clipboard"      "file"         "r"      "text"    "closed"       "yes"
  can write
      "yes"

> file("clipboard","r")
Error in file("clipboard", "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file `clipboard'

platform powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
arch     powerpc