[R] eigen vector question

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Fri Feb 18 12:07:26 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 11:26 +0100, Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Jessica Higgs wrote:
>
> > Sorry to bother everyone, but I've looked in all of the help files and
> > manuals I have and I can't find the answer to this question.  I'm doing
> > principle component analysis by calculating the eigen vectors of a
> > correlation matrix that I have that is composed of 21 parameters.  I
> > have the eigen vectors and their values that R produced for me but I'm
> > not sure how to tell which eigen vector/value corresponds to which
> > parameter because when R produces eigen vectors it does so in decreasing
> > order of significance, meaning that the eigen vector that explains the
> > most of the variance is listed first, followed by the next eigen vector,
> > etc etc. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to write back if you
> > need more information on my problem.  Thanks!

> Have you considered to use princomp()?

It is really weird that people always recommend using princomp, although
it is numerically inferior to prcomp and fails with rank deficit data.
The natural solution would be to define functions:

function(x) UseMethod("loadings")

function (x) x$loadings

function(x) structure(x$rotation, class="loadings")

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>