[R] Partial structural Change in STRUCCHANGE PACKAGE

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Feb 18 20:38:07 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:14:23 +0100 Romain Francois wrote:

> Hello,
>
> one way could be to compute the residuals of the regression y=b0 +
> b2*Z, let's call them U, and then test the structural change on the
> model U=c0+c1*X.

The approach of Andrews (1993, Econometrica) would be preferrable where
you explicitely estimate partially segmented models with a breakpoint
shifted across the sample period. This woul usually lead to a varying
coefficient of Z as well.
But as I explained in my previous mail, this is not currently
implemented in strucchange.

> Maybe there's a better way.

Personally, if I really believed in a partial change model, I would
compute a statistic (supLM, Cramer-von Mises, maximum, etc.) from the
corresponding cumulative score process(es) computed by gefp().