[R] Problems installing quantreg

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 19 14:37:40 CET 2005

mark engle wrote:
> Hi All,
>  I'm trying to install the quantreg library on my MEPIS box (debian-based
> linux).  When I try >install.packages("quantreg") it fails to loads and
> errors with: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas-3.  I tried installing a ton of
> packages to fix the missing part but the only thing I manage to do it cause
> problems with another shared library and had to re-install a couple of
> packages to even get R to run again (It's pretty late here and I'm just too
> tired to remember all the packages I messed with) .
>
> As a work around I tried downloading an .rpm for the package and converting it
> to a .deb using alien.  I then installed the .deb through kpackage.  It
> installed without any complaints and I can run the library command with
> quantreg.  However when I try to run a quantreg command (in this case, rq) at
> the R prompt, I get: "Error: Object "rq" not found".  This suggests to me
> that the package hasn't really installed itself or isn't working properly.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  I'd really like to be able to use this library
> with R.  In fact at the moment R doesn't do me much good without it.
> Thanks.

How was your R or r-base-core installed?  If it came from one of Dirk's
Debian packages it should already have a dependency on one of the atlas3
packages (either atlas3-base or atlas3-sse or atlas3-sse2 or
atlas3-3dnow) that provides a blas-3 library.

I would suggest installing one of the atlas3 packages (sse2 for recent
Pentium or 3dnow for a recent Athlon chip).

Although the arrangements with the atlas3 packages are complex they
provide a great performance boost on some linear algebra operations with
large matrices.