[R] Time series documentation? (was: best analysis method : for time series ans cross sectional data)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Feb 19 22:33:45 CET 2005

	  Hello, All:

	  What documentation do you recommend for someone trying to learn how
to analyze time series in R beyond ch. 14 in Venables and Ripley (2002)
Modern Applied Statistics with S, 4th ed. (Springer), and a not-quite
random walk through the documentation on commands like arima and
provided with packages like dse?  I've installed dse and its, and I've
made progress using arima, acf, etc.  I tried working through
"dse1-guide.pdf", but far I have not successfully used that package.

	  In particular, what's the preferred way to keep track of dates with
time series?  I tried assigning a "Date" object somehow to a "ts"
object, so far without success.  Two of my attempts are as follows:

 > tst2 <- ts(1:11, frequency=365,
+        start=c(2005, 11))
# This seemed to work, but the time does not seem to have class "Date"

 > tst3 <- ts(1:11, frequency=365,
+        start=as.Date("21/01/2005", "%d/%m/%Y"))
Error in Math.difftime((end - start) * frequency + 1.01) :
	floor not defined for difftime objects

	  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'd gladly rtfm ("read
the f****** manual"), but I don't know which fm to r.

	  Thanks,
	  Spencer Graves

      It looks to me like what you want is "intervention analysis" in
the time series literature.  Have you considered the arima function,
especially the example in the documentation using the xreg argument?
Also, have you looked at ch. 14 in Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern
Applied Statistics with S, 4th ed. (Springer)?

      There are other time series packages available, e.g, dse, fSeries,
its, GeneTS, msm, pastecs, splancs, tseries, urca, uroot, but I haven't
used them and so can't comment further on them.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves