[R] re: rnorm??

Scholz, Fritz Fritz.Scholz at boeing.com
Tue Feb 22 17:06:33 CET 2005

I was not able to reproduce the behavior reported
in my message below. I was trying it on the same laptop
in the same workspace using again R 2.0.0, but the
low counts of 4 to 7 (witnesses by some of my colleagues)
did not show up again. Please do not spend any more
effort on this.

>I am wondering whether there is a bug in rnorm.
>When generating rnorm(1000000) and counting
>the cases > 4 and the cases < (-4) I get rather
>unexpectedly low counts for the latter. The problem goes away
>when using qnorm(runif(1000000)).

Fritz Scholz, PhD
Applied Statistics Group
Boeing Phantom Works