[R] Re: estimate the parameter of exponential distribution, etc.

Vito Ricci vito_ricci at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 09:03:37 CET 2005

Hi David,

You can estimate parameters using fitdistr() in MASS
package.
I suggest also to read my contribute "Fitting
distributions with R" available on CRAN:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Ricci-distributions-en.pdf
Best regards,
Vito

you wrote:

Given a numeric vector of observations, does R have
any generic way to estimate the parameters of commonly
used distributions (exponential, gamma, etc.) without
numerically optimizing the likelihood function?

Thanks,
David
_______________________________________
David R. Bickel  http://davidbickel.com
Research Scientist
Pioneer Hi-Bred International
Bioinformatics & Exploratory Research
7250 NW 62nd Ave., PO Box 552
Johnston, Iowa 50131-0552
515-334-4739 Tel
515-334-6634 Fax
david.bickel at pioneer.com, bickel at prueba.info

=====
Diventare costruttori di soluzioni
Became solutions' constructors

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze
the scientific learning process."
George E. P. Box

Top 10 reasons to become a Statistician

     1. Deviation is considered normal
     2. We feel complete and sufficient
     3. We are 'mean' lovers
     4. Statisticians do it discretely and continuously
     5. We are right 95% of the time
     6. We can legally comment on someone's posterior distribution
     7. We may not be normal, but we are transformable
     8. We never have to say we are certain
     9. We are honestly significantly different
    10. No one wants our jobs

Visitate il portale http://www.modugno.it/
e in particolare la sezione su Palese  http://www.modugno.it/archivio/palese/