[R] Re: Run Sweave and LaTeX directly from command line

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Feb 23 09:37:31 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:21:46 -0600 Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 22 February 2005 at 14:58, Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at wrote:
> | side note 2: For make afficionados the follwing 2 rules in
> | combination with the Sweave script from the FAQ do almost the same
> | (that's what I use :-)
>
> Sure, but it requires a (arguably small) Makefile in every sweave
> project directory.  Would you consider integrating Gregor's script (or
> a suitable modification) instead?

As discussed in various bits and pieces in this thread: the main
building blocks are all there in R so that you could do something like

Rnw2dvi <- function(x, ...) {
  Sweave(paste(x, ".Rnw", sep = ""))
  texi2dvi(paste(x, ".tex", sep = ""), ...)
}

But as texi2dvi() requires some attention under Windows, people might
want to use something like Gabor suggested. Others will prefer a
Makefile like Fritz, others a shell script like Gregor or...
Personally, I've got a Rnw2pdf script with
---
Sweave $1
texi2dvi --pdf --clean $(basename $1 .Rnw).tex
rm -f $(basename $1 .Rnw)-*.pdf
rm -f Rplots.ps
---
in my bin/ directory.

So I think it is probably easiest if every user sets up something he/she
is comfortable with on his/her platform.