[R] Run Sweave and LaTeX directly from command line

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 16:31:15 CET 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Gregor GORJANC wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I really started a nice debate. I have now removed rubber from my script. I
> found tex2dvi equally good and as Brian pointed it is more frequent than
> rubber. I also added some parts from Achim (rm ...).
>
> http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan/programs/shell/Sweave.sh
>
> Shell vs R: It is nice to have such a script/function in R so it is easier to
> port it to Windows. However I find it crucial that user has ability to run
> this script from command line directly not only within R, which should not be
> the problem from what I have read from this mails.

You have to run _some_ script interpreter from the command line, and that
may equally well be R as python, perl or sh.  I gave a complete example of
doing (as people seems not to pick up on this).

Now we have a `lean-and-mean' base R (the purpose of the package
reorganization around 1.9.0) it works quite well as a script engine
(startup time below 100ms), and it is used extensively to install R and
build packages.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk