[R] RE: R-help Digest, Vol 24, Issue 22

Andrew Kniss akniss at uwyo.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:41:35 CET 2005

I used SAS to analyze the data initially, since the data set was made up of
several files when I received it, and I'm still not very good at
manipulating data in R.

I have posted the data set from one location at the following address:
http://uwstudentweb.uwyo.edu/A/AKNISS/sxherb.txt
var=cultivar
trt=herbicide treatment
yield=response variable of interest
All plot# from 101 to 104 are rep 1, 201-204 rep 2, and 301 to 304 rep 3.

It was the only file that was in an easy format for R to read at the moment,
and was probably the most reliable trial of the two locations. I would like
to use power.anova.test() with this data set to plan next years study (to
get a sample size for each herb*var combination), but I'm not quite sure how
that is done for an interaction effect.  Do I just use the MS for herb*var
as the between group variance and the MSE as the within group variance?  Or
do I need to somehow include other variance parameters in the model?

The model for this location (split-block design):
 yield = rep + herb + var + herb*var ## all are fixed effects
        rep*herb = error term for herb
        rep*var = error term for cultivar
        residual = error term for herb*var

I hope this attempt at my question was a little more clear.  I appreciate
any help that is offered.

Andrew Kniss
Assistant Research Scientist
University of Wyoming