[R] basic question about changing limits on generated plots

rif rif at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 23 23:42:45 CET 2005

Is it possible to change the limits on plots that are already on the
screen?  In particular, is there any R equivalent to the sequence of
matlab commands

plot(1:10,1:10)
hold on
plot(2:12,5:15)

I know I can use points and lines to add points and lines to plots,
but the limits of the plot do not change when I do this.

Looking at various examples, it seems that the answer is "no", but I
wanted to make sure.  This seems to make exploratory data analysis
somewhat more challenging.

It also seems like it would be plausible to write a package on top of
the standard graphics functions that keeps track of what you've done
and automatically replots.  Which makes me think, has someone already
done this?

Cheers,

rif