[R] Getting tick positions

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Thu Feb 24 01:30:59 CET 2005

Which plotting function are you using ?

I think most of plotting can accept xaxt="n" which is the command to
supress the x-axis. If this works, at least you do not have to redefine
the function. Examples

 plot(1:10, xaxt="n")
 hist( rnorm(100), xaxt="n" )
 boxplot( rnorm(10), rnorm(10), rnorm(10), xaxt="n" )

Reading help("par") will also shows you that xaxp might be useful but I
have not managed to get this working. Maybe someone on the list can
explain why the following does not work :

plot(1:100, xaxp=c(x1=0,x2=100,n=20) )
par( xaxp=c(x1=0,x2=100,n=20) ); plot(1:100)

Regards, Adai