[R] Why R GUI application so slow

Zhesi He zh107 at york.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 16:47:14 CET 2005

Hi, All,

I use RGtk and Rtcltk to build some graphical interface for
bioinformatics data analysis applications.
I'm just wondering why the graphic display is so slow. For example, I
tried to build a 2000 rows & 5 levels tree with both Rgtk and Rtcltk.
RGtk cost about 15 seconds and Rtcltk about 10 seconds to load up...

Is there a fatser way to build such application? I have difficulty
install RJava in my machine, is RJava faster in building the tree
representation?

BTW, I'm using ibook G4 MacOS 10.3, R2.0

Many thanks.

Zhesi He
Computational Biology Laboratory, University of York
York YO10 5YW, U.K.
Phone:  +44-(0)1904-328279
Email:  zh107 at york.ac.uk