[R] Do environments make copies?

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 24 23:46:40 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Berton Gunter wrote:

> I was hoping that one of the R gurus would reply to this, but as they have't
> (thus far) I'll try. Caveat emptor!
>
> First of all, R passes function arguments by values, so as soon as you call
> foo(val) you are already making (at least) one other copy of val for the
> call.

Conceptually you have a copy, but internally R trieas to use a
copy-on-modify strategy to avaoid copying unless necessary.  THere are
conservative approximations involved, so there is more copying than
one might like but definitely not as much as this.

> Second,you seem to implicitly make the assumption that assign(..., env=)
> uses a pointer to point to the values in the environment. I do not know how
> R handles environments and assignments like this internally, but your data
> seems to indicate that it copies the value and does not merely point to it
> (this is where R Core folks can shed more authoritative light).

This assignment does just store the pointer.

> Finally, it makes perfect sense to me that, as a data structure, the
> environment itself may be small even if it effectively points to (one of
> several copies of) large objects, so that object.size(an.environment) could
> be small although the environment may "contain" huge arguments. Again, the
> details depend on the precise implementation and need clarification by
> someone who actually knows what's going on here, which ain't me.
>
> I think the important message is that you shouldn't treat R as C, and you
> shouldn't try to circumvent R's internal data structures and conventions. R
> is a language designed to implements Chambers's S model of "Programming with
> Data." Instead of trying to fool R to handle large data sets, maybe you
> should consider whether you really **need** all the data in R at one time
> and if sensible partitioning or sampling to analyze only a portion or
> portions of the data might not be a more effective strategy.

R can do quite a reasonable job with large data sets on a resonable
platform.  A 32 bit platform is not a reasonable one on which to use R
with 800 MB chunks of data. Automatic memory management combined with
the immutable vector semantics require more elbow room than that.  If
you really must use data of this size on a 32-bit platform you will
probably be muchhappier using a limited amoutn of C code and external
pointers.

As to what is happening in this example: look at the default parent
used by new.env and combine that with the fact that the serialization
code does not preserve sharing of atomic objects.  The two references
to the large object are shared in the original session but lead to two
large objects in the saved image and the load.  Using

     ref <- list(env = new.env(parent = .GlobalEnv))

in new.ref avoids the second copy both in the saved image and after

luke