[R] Teaching R in 40 minutes. What should be included?

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Feb 26 20:32:05 CET 2005

Spencer Graves wrote:
>      I agree with Thomas and Georg:  A 40 minute intro should be mostly
> Marketing and very little "how to".
>      I think you'll have a more effective sales job if you target, say,
> 4 examples averaging 5 slides each plus some general overview, max 25-30
> slides.  If I had sufficient prep time and a few collaborators among
> physicists, geographers, etc., I might get their help in preparing
> examples, showing how they would do something in Matlab or Scilab or
> something else vs. R.  And I'd end with a discussion of technical
> support via an R site search and r-help and showing a list of available
> contributed packages.  I'd do a couple of searches for physics and
> geographical questions.  ODESOLVE, maps, etc.  Maybe pick examples that
> are part of the help files.  Then show, here is how I find X, here is
> the vignette, help or whatever.
>      Is it fair to say that R is rapidly becoming (if it is not already)
> the primary platform of choice for new statistical algorithm
> development?  I think they might be interested in a brief overview of
> the contributed software.  If this is an academic audience, they might
> like to know how easy it is to contribute software, plus journal on
> statistical computing and graphics, etc.
>      hope this helps.  Good Luck!
>      spencer graves

I often give talks like that.  The thing that has impressed audiences
the most is a multi-panel lattice graphic with 2 classification
variables and in each panel a scatterplot and a lowess trend line.  A
single page with 24 small high-resolution histograms also seems to
impress people.  The nomogram function in the Design package seems to
also connect with non-statisticians, as does
latex(describe(mydataframe)) using Hmisc.  People like seeing in the
latex previewer some output that mixes tabular summaries and graphics.

Frank Harrell

> Thomas Schönhoff wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Am Freitag, 25. Februar 2005 22:37 schrieb Dr Carbon:
>>

>>> If _you_ were asked to give a 40 minute dog and pony show about R
>>> for a group of scientists ranging from physicists to geographers
>>> what would you put in? These people want to know what R can do.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking about something like:
>>>
>>> A. Overview
>>> B. data structures
>>> C. arithmetic and manipulation