[R] Writing as matrix

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Feb 28 01:20:40 CET 2005

      What version of R under which operating system?

      I just tried something similar and got something sensible, as
follows:

set.seed(1)
e1 <- array(1:6, dim=c(3,2),
     dimnames=list(NULL, LETTERS[1:2]))
e2 <- array(rnorm(6), dim=c(3,2),
     dimnames=list(NULL, letters[1:2]))
e12 <- cor(e1, e2)
e12. <- round(e12)

sink("e12.txt")
e12.
sink()

#####################
      File "e12.txt" contained the following:

  a  b
A 0 -1
B 0 -1

      An alternative is the following:

write.table(e12., "e12.csv", quote=FALSE)

      File "e12.csv" contained the same as *.txt.

      Are your names actually "A", "B", etc., or do they include long
character strings?  If the latter, that would explain what you got.  If
the former, what do you get from "options()$width"?  I suspect it may be
some small number.

      hope this helps.
      spencer graves
p.s.  Did you read the posting guide,
"http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html"?  If you had followed that
more carefully, especially regarding supplying a real, simple example
with a few lines that would illustrate your problem, you would have
gotten a quicker answer.
p.p.s.  I found "options()$width" from "www.r-project.org" -> search ->
"R site search" -> "output line width".  It was in the sixth hit.