[R] Unable to install packages

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Feb 28 11:24:38 CET 2005

"MARTIN CALMARZA AGUSTIN" <agmartinca at gruposantander.com> writes:

> > Dear Sirs ,
> > Today I've downloaded the last release of the R-Program (I an a novel user). I am interested on performing time series analysys (regression,ARIMA,ARCH) to some data-sets, therefore I would like to use some of the packages of R-Contributors (like the tseries one).When I try to install or update packages from CRAN the following text always appear:
> >
> >  local({a <- CRAN.packages()
> > + install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1], available=a, dependencies=TRUE)})
> > trying URL `http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
> > Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
> >         cannot open URL `http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > unable to resolve 'cran.stat.ucla.edu'.
> >
> > > update.packages()
> > trying URL `http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
> > Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
> >         cannot open URL `http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > unable to resolve 'cran.stat.ucla.edu'.
> >
> > I have hanged the mirror several times but I am unable to download the packages.What should I do to install them?
> > Thanks very much.Best regards,
> > Agustín Martín

On Windows, I presume?

Did you read the Windows FAQ, Q.2.17?

In all cases, you could try to download the ZIP file using your
browser and then "install from local ZIP file". If you cannot download
that way either, well, the problem is not in R, then.

Notice that you need the Windows binary (*.zip) not the *.tar.gz or
*.tgz files, which contain source distributions and Macintosh files
respectively (unless I guessed your system incorrectly, of course...)