[R] problems with Rd format

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 22:50:30 CET 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Renaud Lancelot wrote:

> Dear R-helpers,
>
> I have an Rd file with a section:
>
> \details{
>  The model is:\cr
>  \eqn{y | \lambda ~ Binomial(n, \lambda)},\cr
>  [snip]
>  }
>
> I would like the equation line to be indented, with a \tab character for
> example. How can I do that ?

Well, use markup that allows \tab: if you want a table, use \tabular.
But if you find yourself doing this, you are not in the spirit of layout
languages, and Rd is a layout language.

> Moreover, the panel of greek letters available in HTML files generated from
> Rd files looks very limited (e.g., \eqn{\phi} produces phi, not the
> corresponding greek letter). Is there a way to overcome this in HTML files ?

What HTML 4.0 _guarantees_ a browser can show is very limited, and does
not include phi (at least according to my HTML 4.0 book).  So, not in
strict HTML.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk