[R] different DF in package nlme and lme4

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jan 3 17:42:30 CET 2005

Douglas Bates wrote:
> Christoph Buser wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I tried to reproduce an example with lme and used the Orthodont
>> dataset.
>>
>> library(nlme)
>> fm2a.1 <- lme(distance ~ age + Sex, data = Orthodont, random = ~ 1 |
>> Subject)
>> anova(fm2a.1)

>> Regards,
>> Christoph Buser
>>

> No.  The calculation of denominator degrees of freedom in lme4 is bogus
> and I believe this is documented.  Note that for all practical purposes
> there is very little difference between 25 and 100 denominator degrees
> of freedom.
>
> lme4 is under development (and has been for a seemingly interminable
> period of time).  Getting the denominator degrees of freedom calculation
> "right" is way down the list of priorities.
>
> Many people express dismay about the calculation of denominator degrees
> of freedom in all versions of lme4.  IIRC Frank Harrell characterizes
> this as one of the foremost deficiencies in R relative to SAS.  I don't
> agree that this is a glaring deficiency.  In fact I believe that there
> is no "correct" answer.  The F statistics in a mixed model do not have
> an F distribution under the null hypothesis.  It's all an approximation,
> which is why I don't stay up nights worrying about the exact details of
> the approximation.

Doug - the main concern is accurate P-values; I don't really care which
approximations are best, just that the ones used are at least as good as
those in SAS.  Without being an expert, I have come to believe that at
the moment SAS is better than R in 2 areas: accurate P-values from mixed
models and handling massive databases.  On the former point I could
easily be swayed by some type I error simulations.

> My plan for lme4 is that one slot in the summary object for an lme model
> will be an incidence table of terms in the fixed effects versus grouping
> factors for the random effects.  This table will indicate whether a
> given term varies within groups defined by the grouping factor.  Anyone
> who wants to implement their personal favorite calculation of
> denominator degrees of freedom based on this table will be welcome to do
> so.

I will be interested also to see timings of lme4 (using S4) vs nlme
(using S3) for the same model.

Cheers,

Frank