[R] R help search and Java(tm)?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jan 4 19:25:33 CET 2005

Dan Bolser <dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I found this great search
>
> source("http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~djw1005/Stats/Interests/search.R")
>
> helpHTML()

> Has (or will) this become the standard search method?

I think it got superseded by Jon Baron's RSiteSearch() function which
is finding its way into r-devel.

> Is R 'Free Software'? The dependence on Java seems a bit of a pain for
> 'freeness'.

A pain yes, but free software can rely on non-free compilers and OS's
if need be. It's just more convenient to build on tools that everyone
can get hold of.

> Did the above make it into CRAN?

Well, you could check... It doesn't look like there is enough of the
ancillary matter (help pages etc.) for a CRAN package.