[R] warnings and errors with R CMD INSTALL

thomas tom_hoary at web.de
Wed Jan 5 10:17:45 CET 2005

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, den 05.01.2005, 06:47 +0000 schrieb Prof Brian Ripley:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, thomas wrote:

> >> But there is no package `pkg1' on CRAN.  Try a real name like
> >>
> >> install.packages("tree")
> >
> > Well, of cause I didn't want install pkg1 or pkg2,
> > the precise commandline was:
> >
> > 1. R CMD INSTALL epitools_0.3-3.tar.gz
>
> Have you downloaded the file first to the current directory?
Well, that was the crucial point, I simply didn't get aware or simply
over-read this issue (what a shame!)

> > and
> >
> > 2.  install.packages("accuracy", "zoo", "abind")
>
> The syntax is install.packages(c("accuracy", "zoo", "abind"))

Well, given the examples in administration manual and RNews 3/3, your
example looks a bit different (the c !). I didn't figure out that you'll
have to use this to install packages accurately

> [I did suggest an example you could have tried, deliberately with one
> package.  I don't get the error message you said you got from your line.]

Well, that's correct, now with your kind advice this isn't a problem
anymore

Finally, it seems to me that the install.package should help to stay
tuned with regards to required dependencies.
Just found out, that some dependency descriptions of packages are
somewhat missing some necessities,

i.e. RODBC package descriptions mentions:
(..)
 R (>= 1.9.0)
(..)

When trying to install RODBC I had to learn that on my system there is:

configure: error: "no ODBC driver manager found"
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'

So, R CMD INSTALL seemingly doesn't take care of missing dependencies
except given an error message.

Since I am relatively new to R I am kind of lost to figure out these
dependencies on my own (think its getting better gradually).

Anyway,

thanks for immediate response

Thomas