[R] warnings and errors with R CMD INSTALL

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 12:37:42 CET 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, thomas wrote:

[...]

> Finally, it seems to me that the install.package should help to stay
> tuned with regards to required dependencies.
> Just found out, that some dependency descriptions of packages are
> somewhat missing some necessities,

I don't believe you have read the actual file:

Package: RODBC
Version: 1.1-2
SystemRequirements: An ODBC driver manager and drivers. See README.

> i.e. RODBC package descriptions mentions:
> (..)
> R (>= 1.9.0)
> (..)
>
> When trying to install RODBC I had to learn that on my system there is:
>
> configure: error: "no ODBC driver manager found"
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
>
> So, R CMD INSTALL seemingly doesn't take care of missing dependencies
> except given an error message.

It's a _system_ requirement, and R does not know how to install systems on
your unstated system (and probably does not have permission too, either).

> Since I am relatively new to R I am kind of lost to figure out these
> dependencies on my own (think its getting better gradually).

You are not asked to, but you are asked to read the README.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk