[R] lme: error message with random=~1

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jan 5 13:43:05 CET 2005

Hi Thomas,

I don't quite understand what you want to do. If you use "random=~1"
(or "random=~1|Subject" if you don't have a groupedData), then you
just fit a random-intercepts model. "ranef(fm1)" gives you the
Empirical Bayes estimates (i.e., posterior means) for the
random-effects which you can use for instance, if you'd like
subject-specific fitted values.

Best,
Dimitris