[R] Vertical labels on axes overlap

Tomas Kalibera kalibera at nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Jan 6 08:53:05 CET 2005

Hello,

when using horizontal labels (default) in plots on x-axis, R by default
selects a subset of labels to plot so that the labels do not overlap.
However, when using vertical labels, all labels are always drawn, even
when they overlap. Is it a bug or do I have to adjust some magic parameter ?

the problem can be shown on these 2 tiny examples:

horizontal labels (default) [OK]:

 > plot(1:100,axes=FALSE)
 > axis(1,at=1:100,labels=rep("aaa",100))

(only a subset of labels is drawn)

vertical labels [THE PROBLEM]:

 > plot(1:100,axes=FALSE)
 > axis(1,at=1:100,labels=rep("aaa",100),las=2)

(all labels are drawn - and they do overlap)

Thanks,

Tomas