[R] Segmentation fault while using Mclust function of mclust library in R-2.0.1

Tim F Liao tfliao at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 6 16:15:21 CET 2005

Tae-Hoon,

Your code worked with version 1.90:

> Mclust(rnorm(100))

 best model: univariate normal with 1 groups

 averge/median classification uncertainty: 0 / 0

Warning message:
optimal number of clusters occurs at min choice in: Mclust
(rnorm(100))

The warning should be there because the data you generated
have only one cluster.  I'm fairly certain it would work
with R version 2.0 as well which is what I have on my home
computer and I used Mclust for one-dimensional data last
month with that version.  If it's a problem with the latest
version, you can simply download an earlier version of R
(yesterday there was a thread about where to find version
1.91 or something like it) and run Mclust with that version.

Tim Liao
Professor of Sociology & Statistics
University of Illinois