[R] hist function to give each cell equal area

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 12:14:22 CET 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, BXC (Bendix Carstensen) wrote:

>how about:
>
>x <- rnorm(400)
>nbin<-7
>hist(x,breaks=quantile(x,prob=seq(0,1,length=nbin+1)))

Thanks for the replies! Quantiles are my new friend. Its true the example
I gave was a bit tricky, I just wanted to get the idea over.

One thing that is slightly confusing (probably a slight syntax thing),
combining the above with the reply from Peter Dalgaard...

nbin<-10
x <- rnorm(400)
hist(x,breaks=quantile(x,prob=seq(0,1,length=nbin+1)))

y <- table(cut(x,breaks=quantile(x,seq(0,1,length=nbin+1))))

[1] 399

I only get 399 counts out, and I put 400 counts in?

Cheers,
Dan.