[R] Help in customising the NLS function to spit out mean and SD ofnew fit!!

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 7 21:04:28 CET 2005

It **sounds ** like you are trying to fit a nonparametric density to 6000
values...  If so, please stop what you are doing and see ?density. You could
also search on "fit density" or something similar on the R site search, as
there are other R functions in R packages that do density fitting (ash is
one, but other recommendations anyone?).

If this is not what you are trying to do, I think you are still likely going
about it in the wrong way -- histograms lose information and are notoriously
dependent on the choice of cutpoints (which is part of the motivation for
Scott's ash package). You might wish to consult a local statistician to get
some better approaches to whatever it is that you're trying to do.

Cheers,
Bert Gunter