[R] suse 9.1 x86_64 rpms?

Kristian Eric Markon mark0060 at tc.umn.edu
Sat Jan 8 19:28:00 CET 2005

I noticed on the mailing list archives and through Google searches that
a couple of months ago there was discussion of maintaining rpms for suse
9.1 on the x86_64 architecture.

Are these rpms still planning on being released? It would help me a
great deal.

I've tried compiling from source using the R-base spec files provided on
CRAN. Using that, I am able to produce a running version of R, but
readline doesn't seem to be working, nor does x11(). Moreover, I'm not
sure that the compiled version is actually running in 64-bit mode. I've
double-checked all the required libraries, and I seem to have them all
to the correct version number (including readline and xfree).

The 32-bit rpms run on a 32-bit install of suse 9.1 on a different
machine, but not on the 64-bit install of suse 9.1 on a x86_64 machine.
I suspect some of my problems have to do with libraries being in
different places in the 64-bit version of suse 9.1.

I could spend more time trying to compile it on my machine--and probably
will, but I thought I would ask about any possible official distribution
of rpms for suse 9.1 x86_64 first.

Thanks.