[R] R-etiquette

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 15:19:28 CET 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:03:33 +0100, Anne <anne.piotet at urbanet.ch> wrote:
> well, all  these responses address part of my question!
> - what about citing people who helped with comments/ suggestions even code
> on the list? I do think they deserve aknowledgement!

They probably do, BUT...

one of my previous academic departments had a general policy that we
should refuse acknowledgements when possible, as they are in a sense
the worst of all worlds -- no credit where it counts, and potentially
a huge amount of blame if, for example, you managed to get the advice
wrong at the end.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't feel like you do, nor that the
people that helped you shouldn't get credit somehow, but that it
should be done carefully.  (of course, a report might be handled
differently than a presentation, and a journal article still
differently from those two).

best,
-tony

"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

A.J. Rossini
blindglobe at gmail.com