[R] Mixing portrait/landscape in a postscript file

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 21:07:55 CET 2005

On 10-Jan-05 Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Yves Brostaux wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> trellis.device(postscript, theme=canonical.theme("postscript",
>>> color=F),
>> file="an_phase2_graph.ps", paper="a4", pointsize = 10, onefile=TRUE,
>> horizontal=TRUE)
>>
>> Everything works fine,but some of these plots shoud be printed
>> in a portrait orientation to look better. I tried to include
>> [...] par.settings = list(horizontal=FALSE) [...] in the lattice
>> plots arguments, but with no success. Is there a way to mix
>> different page orientation in a single postscript device that
>> I missed ?
>
> No.  It is hard-coded in the header of the file.
>
> It is technically impossible in postscript, but what one could do
> is to rotate the coord system on individual pages so all the pages
> were portrait or landscape.  I believe grid viewports can do that
> for you.

Do you mean "tecnically impossible to achieve it directly using
an R postscript device"? Because it is certainly possible to have
a PostScript document in which some pages are portrait and some
are landscape. And -- with appropriate DSC comments at the right
places in the file -- these can be viewed correctly (i.e. the
text always horizontal) using standard PS viewers; and they can
be correctly converted to PDF to be viewed likewise.

I could follow this up privately if anyone is interested: the
details would not be appropriate for posting to the list!

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861  [NB: New number!]
Date: 10-Jan-05                                       Time: 20:07:55