[R] lme4 print and summary errror

Andrew Beckerman a.beckerman at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 11:24:55 CET 2005

Hi all - (this is posted to r-help and R-SIG-MAC)

OSX 10.3.7, R 2.0.1, lme4/Matrix/latticeExtra latest, fresh install of
R. MASS loaded (or not).

I am getting an error message for the print() and summary() commands
with all lme models I try and run in lme4 (GLMM's work fine).  Using
the example from the lme help, summary and print produce the following
errors, despite the model being fit, as indicated by VarCorr() and
examination of str(fm).  Any ideas?

(I can't reproduce this on a windows95 install of 2.0.1, so I am
guessing it may be a mac thing at the moment?  This happens with the
binary or the source installation of lme4.)

Cheers
andrew

 > data(bdf)
 > fm <- lme(langPOST ~ IQ.ver.cen + avg.IQ.ver.cen, data = bdf,
+           random = ~ IQ.ver.cen | schoolNR)
 > summary(fm)
Error in verbose || attr(x, "verbose") : invalid `y' type in `x || y'
 > fm
Linear mixed-effects model fit by   Data: NULL
   Log-likelihood: NULL
   Fixed: list()
NULL

Length  Class   Mode
      0   NULL   NULL
Number of Observations:
Number of Groups: Error in 1:dd$Q : NA/NaN argument
 > VarCorr(fm)
  Groups   Name        Variance Std.Dev. Corr
  schoolNR (Intercept)  8.07702 2.84201
           IQ.ver.cen   0.20806 0.45614  -0.642
  Residual             41.34942 6.43035