[R] Changes in expression in R 2.0.1

Aleš Žiberna ales.ziberna at guest.arnes.si
Tue Jan 11 12:27:22 CET 2005

Hello!

plot(1:10,main=expression(1 <= "m" <= 5))

The above command works perfectly in R 1.9.1 but returns an error in R 2.0.1

This is documented in NEWS for R 2.0.0 (or ONEWS in R 2.0.1) and it is said:

o   R no longer accepts associative use of relational operators.
     That is, 3 < 2 < 1 (which used to evalute as TRUE!) now causes
     a syntax error.  If this breaks existing code, just add
     parentheses -- or braces in the case of plotmath.

It is true that the following command does not give en error, however, I do
not what the extra brackets in the plot:

plot(1:10,main=expression(1 <= ("m" <= 5)))

Is it possible to have this thing plotted with the same look as in R 1.9.1?
I apologize if the instruction are in NEWS, since I am not sure how to
interpret exactly this section (especially : "just add parentheses -- or
braces in the case of plotmath".

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Ales Ziberna

I am running binary version of  R 2.0.1 (and R 1.9.1) on Windows XP

Here are the R 2.0.1 version details:

$platform
[1] "i386-pc-mingw32"

$arch