[R] Off Topic: Statistical "philosophy" rant

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at dpi.wa.gov.au
Thu Jan 13 03:45:42 CET 2005

I have often noted that "statistics can't prove a damn thing, but they can be really useful in disproving something." Having spent most of 80s and half of the 90s with the Australian Bureau of Statistics to find out how you collect these numbers, I am disconcerted at the apparent disregard for measurement issues such as bias, input error, questionnaire design etc etc. ... Science wars ... the real world ... and the not so real world. Having only recently discovered what our esteemed J Baron does I should say that a lot of his work requires us to ask how we use (abuse?) the tools we have.

Having said that some of my most influential work has come from data exploration within fields where I would describe myself as a complete novice. Using ony the phrase "the data seems to indicate" realtionship x with y or some variant and asking if this is an accepted norm has produced some unexpected paradigm shifts.

Someone on the list has a footline of something along the lines of "All models are wrong, but some of them are useful." I think this is attributed to Box. As most of us know some of the advice on this list has more sage than others.

That all concludes to say the manner in which we deal with non-model uncertainty, impacts upon the degree to which we perform a disservice to science/ourselves. I think you are being unduly pessimistic, but then again I might just be a cynic masquerading as a realist.

Tom