[R] Installing R on Xandros 3.0

Thu Jan 13 22:36:37 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 16:15 -0500, Thomas W Volscho wrote:
> Dear List,
> After obtaining a second-hand PC and because XP costs too much, I installed Xandros 3.0 (based on Debian) but pretty easy to use if migrating from WinXP.
>
> Does anyone know how to install R on this OS?
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Tom Volscho

If it is Debian based, it seems that you should be able to use apt-get
to install base R and many of the CRAN packages that Dirk has packaged
up.

Alternatively, you can download the source tarball and compile using the
typical:

./configure
make
make install (as root)

I would of course defer to Dirk and other Debian experts here.

You might also want to look at Dirk's Quantian distribution, which is
based upon Knoppix and includes R:

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

HTH,

Marc Schwartz