[R] Installing R on Xandros 3.0

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Jan 13 23:06:46 CET 2005

If I have to guess, `desktop Linux' such as Xandros do not come with
compilers and other development tools, so compiling from source will be a
bit of a challenge.  I recall having played with Corel Linux during its
rather short lifetime (also Debian based), and was horrified to find it
lacking GCC.  Apparently people who make up such distros have the same view
as Mr. Gates that compilers need not be part of a desktop OS.

(If I'm not mistaken, Unbuntu has the same problem.  However, apt-get is
_really_ easy...)

Cheers,
Andy

> From: Marc Schwartz
>
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 16:15 -0500, Thomas W Volscho wrote:
> > Dear List,
> > After obtaining a second-hand PC and because XP costs too
> much, I installed Xandros 3.0 (based on Debian) but pretty
> easy to use if migrating from WinXP.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to install R on this OS?
> >
> > Thank you for your time,
> > Tom Volscho
>
> If it is Debian based, it seems that you should be able to use apt-get
> to install base R and many of the CRAN packages that Dirk has packaged
> up.
>
> Alternatively, you can download the source tarball and
> compile using the
> typical:
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install (as root)
>
> I would of course defer to Dirk and other Debian experts here.
>
> You might also want to look at Dirk's Quantian distribution, which is
> based upon Knoppix and includes R:

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

HTH,

Marc Schwartz