[R] Graph format: quality vs. file size

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 14 00:52:47 CET 2005

Given that you are doing a Q-Q plot, I strongly suspect that other then in
the extreme tails, there will be no loss of visible information if you plot
only 1 out of every 10 of the ordered values instead of all of them (as the
ordered values are highly correlated). This makes the file size manageable.
If you are interested in the extreme tails (the highest and lowest 50 or so
points), these probably should be examined separately. I would guess that
they are not part of the rest of the distribution, anyway (whatever that
means).

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box