[R] Fine tuning scatterplot() (car package)

CG Pettersson cg.pettersson at evp.slu.se
Fri Jan 14 11:26:24 CET 2005

Hello all!

System: R2.0.1, W2k.
All packages apdated with update.packages().
I use the default graphic device for my system (no active choice).

I´m trying to fine-tune scatterplot() graphs (package car), for
publication.
I want to control plotting symbols and colours to match plots from
other, less flexible, systems. I also need to make all text and
symbols bigger, to enable printing of the plots in smaller scale than
the original outputs.

My strategy has been to start in Rcmdr, using the command line
produced there and rerun variants of the scatterplot() call directly
in the console.

After consulting MASS and CAR, the colour and characters were easy to
fix by overrunning the defaults with col=c() and pch=c().

But the size of letters and figures beats me so far. I´ve tried cex
and csi
in the same positiones as col and pch on the line. "cex" doesn´t do
anything as far as I can see, "csi" produces warning messages (which
is some sort of effect!) but does nothing on the size.

Trying to tune with these commands inside xlab and ylab calls (based
on the defaults from the documentation) results in unspecified syntax
error messages.

My code in the console is this for the moment:

> scatterplot(Kernel.protein~TC.OS | Year, reg.line=FALSE,
        smooth=FALSE, labels=FALSE, boxplots=FALSE, span=0.5,
        by.groups=TRUE, col=c("","red","blue","black"), pch=c(15,4,5),

        data=ecpa.f)

Which produces nice plots, but with too small symbols, letters an
numbers.

Thanks!
/CG

CG Pettersson, MSci, PhD Stud.
Dep. of Ecology and Crop Production. Box 7043
SE-750 07 Uppsala