[R] spreadsheet addiction

Christian Schulz ozric at web.de
Fri Jan 14 15:42:41 CET 2005

Henrik Andersson wrote:

> I am moving to using R more and more as a computational platform and
> I use Microsoft Excel at the moment in exactly the way you describe in
> WRITING ASCII FILES as a staging area for data, to gather data and
> make simple calculations. I've have experienced problems with saving
> to .csv files, and not only using scientific notation. The problem
> occurs also in normal notation if you choose to show only some decimals.
>
> That is a serious problem, what is the remedy?
>
> To always avoid showing only some decimals and avoid scientific
> notation or does someone have a  better solution, like a global
> option, Save with full represention to .csv.
>
> I'm open for all sorts of suggestions, including ditching Excel...and
> use ???

Perhaps MySQL &  RMySQL , and one of the many existing gui-tools like:
Query-Browser, Mysql-Front,SqlYog, ToadForMysql, Tora etc..
Since mysql have the possibility  to create stored procedures and
cursors it's  my ideal "spreadsheet", too.

One of a big reason to avoid working with excel is the limited row-size
of  ~ 65.0000 .

regards,
Christian

.