[R] Centered variables and mixed-model

Martin Julien martin.julien.2 at courrier.uqam.ca
Fri Jan 14 22:44:21 CET 2005

I work in biology and I use mixed-model for my data analysis
In a scientific paper, the author wrote:
"All continuous exploratory variables were centred on their median value
prior to inclusion in the analysis (Pinheiro & Bates, 2000)."
They refer to the book "Mixed-effects model in S and S-Plus" by Pinheiro et
Bates in 2000.
I feel a bit strange with that paper because I can't find in the book why
they centred the variables on their median.
So I have two question:
First, is it correct to centred the variables on their median in a
mixed-model?
Second, why they do that?
Thank
Julien