[R] Centered variables and mixed-model

Gorjanc Gregor Gregor.Gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Sat Jan 15 22:41:11 CET 2005

Martin,

You got some fine response already from other r-users. Indeed,
centering explanatory variables is quite common and it really
can have benefits in numerical accuracy.

However one might also use centering for response variable and
even standardization i.e. x - mean(x) / sd(x). This
might increase the robustness of multivariate analysis, where
variables have very different scales. For example in biology -
agriculture: amount of milk of cows [ from few kg up to 50 kg or
even more ] and fat percentage in milk [ around 4% ]. Although,
centering of response variables is really not common.

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor GORJANC

University of Ljubljana
Biotechnical Faculty       URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si
Zootechnical Department    email: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si
Groblje 3                  tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
SI-1230 Domzale            fax: +386 (0)1 72 17 888
Slovenia

Message: 52