[R] RWinEdt install problem

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jan 17 08:37:02 CET 2005

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> I cannot get the "R" button to appear in RWinEdt.
>
> I'm running R 2.0.1 under Windows XP.  I did a clean install of the
> latest WinEdt.  Previously (for an earlier installation of WinEdt) I had
> RWinEdt running OK.  Now, even though I have the distributed
> RWinEdt_1.6-2.zip extracted to the right place in the R directory, and
> when I execute
>
>   library(RWinEdt)
>
> in the R Console, when RWinEdt opens I do not have the R button on the
> toolbar.
>
> How do I fix this?
>
> In case it matters, note that I'm using a WinEdt User configuration
> (i.e., a directory that WinEdt refers to as %b) in addition to the main
> WinEdt directory (the one that WinEdt refers to as %B).

If you don't have write access to the WinEdt directory, you have to copy
the R.ini file to, e.g., your local directory (%b), use the *manual*
installation procedure as described in the ReadMe, but replace the
command line args "-e=R.ini" by the full path specification, e.g.:
"-E=/path/to/%b/R.ini"

In a second (apparently private mail), you told that WinEdt "... 5.4
builds ... including the most recent one of 14 January 2005..." do not
work with the recent version of R-WinEdt, because "1. The first time,
immediately I get a message that WinEdt.ini is corrupted and that a
default copy (from the RWinEdt distribution I presume) is being used."

Is this version also configured to use a User configuration?

I don't have a WinEdt 5.4 version installed (still working with 5.2),
but I will certainly take a look during the next one or two weeks.

Uwe Ligges