[R] background color for plotting symbols in 'matplot'

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Tue Jan 18 17:14:51 CET 2005

something like

matplot2(matrix(1:6,3,2),matrix(7:12,3,2),pch=21,bg=c(2,3),type='b')

does not yield the expected (at least by me) result: only the points on
the first line get (successively) background colors for the plotting
symbols, the second line gets no background color at all for its
plotting symbols.

I think the natural behaviour should be two curves which (for the
example given above) symbol-background colors 2 and 3, respectively (as
would be obtained by a suitable manual combination of 'plot' and
'lines'). the modification of the matplot code to achieve this
behaviour is obvious as far as I can see (adding 'bg' to the explicit
arguments of matplot and handling similar to 'lty', 'cex' and the like
inside the function including transfer to 'plot' and 'lines' argument list).

is the present behaviour a bug of 'matplot' or is it for some reason
intended behaviour?

regards,

joerg