[R] Off topic - Combine results of two testing procedures

Stephane Dray stephane.dray at umontreal.ca
Tue Jan 18 18:37:54 CET 2005

Hello list,
I have a question not directly linked to R, I have googling during one day
but did not find any satisfying answer. Perhaps some people of the list
could give me some advices.

Here is my problem, I compute a statistic which measure the link between
three tables X (n,p), Y(p,m) and Z(n,q). I would like to conduct a test the
hypothesis  that X,Y and Z are linked.

I have implemented two testing procedures (by monte-carlo permutation)
which test:

Ho: X,Y and Z are not linked vs. H1: at least X and Z are linked
Ho: X,Y and Z are not linked vs. H2: at least X and Y are linked

I would like to combine probabilites from these two tests in order to test
Ho: X,Y and Z are not linked vs. H3: X ,Y and Z are linked

I can not implement a direct permutation procedure to test Ho vs H3, and
wonder if there is one way to deduce it from the two first testing procedures.

Help and reference are welcome,

Thanks in advance,
Sincerely.

Stéphane DRAY

Département des Sciences Biologiques
Université de Montréal, C.P. 6128, succursale centre-ville
Montréal, Québec H3C 3J7, Canada

Tel : (514) 343-6111 poste 1233         Fax : (514) 343-2293
E-mail : stephane.dray at umontreal.ca