[R] help wanted using R in a classroom

bogdan romocea br44114 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 20:57:48 CET 2005

It appears you wouldn't get much improvement at all even if the 2nd CPU
were used at 100%. Five R sessions can easily overwhelm one CPU. I
think you need (a lot) more CPUs than 2 to solve your problem.

Possible solutions:
1. Install R on each eMac. Since you have 40 of them, you might want to
put together a script to do this.
2. Get some boxes that can run Windows. On Windows, you can run R from
a CD/zip drive/USB drive. (So you could burn 40 CDs and have everyone
run their R session on their box.) As far as I know the same is not
true for GNU/Linux and Mac OS.

HTH,
b.