[R] R: error while loading shared libraries: libg2c.so.o

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jan 19 23:22:19 CET 2005

"Jon Dressel" <jdressel at surromed.com> writes:

> > If you installed an RPM, please tell us so, and which one from where
>
> The RPM I installed is R-2.0.1-0.RH3AS.i386.rpm from Index of /bin/linux/redhat/el3/i386 located at http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/ .
>
> > I very much suspect it is libg2c.so.0.
> > It should be in /usr/lib if you have the prerequisites installed.
>
> It is currently installed in /usr/lib64

So it's an x86_64 system? If so, what do you want an i386 RPM of R
for? You could well be better off compiling from source. If you
insist, then you might get it to work by installing the 32bit version
of the library in /usr/lib, but there's no guarantee, and you probably
get into further trouble the first time you try installing a CRAN
package.

> > You need to know where R's home is.  Normally R RHOME will tell you, but
> > that might give the same error.  So use
>
> > grep '^R_HOME_DIR' `which R`
>
> > and then substitute it in
>
> > R CMD ldd R_HOME_DIR/bin/exec/R

> I did the above and determined that R_HOME_DIR is /usr/lib/R . I
> plugged in above and did not get any of the description as in your
> example and received the same error message:

I think that was a typo; just "ldd /usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R".