[R] Johnson transformation

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Thu Jan 20 16:37:35 CET 2005

Greetings, Carla:

While it is possible to map any proper density into a normal through their
CDFs, that may not be useful in your case.

I suggest that you first plot your data.
?qqnorm

(Type ?qqnorm on the R command line and hit Enter.)

Are your data continuous, or do they occur in groups?  Do the data curve?
Do they look like two (or more) distinct lines?

If your data have only one mode and if they are smooth then the Box-Cox
transform should provide a symmetrical result.  Not all symmetrical
densities are normal, of course.  And if your data are discrete then using a
continuous density like the normal (or Johnson family) is inappropriate.

The purpose of "fitting" a distribution to data is usually to permit some
probability statement, like Prob(x < X) = alpha.  Why do you want to use the
Johnson family?  I am not aware of convenient methods for making such
probability statements for them.

Best wishes.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com