[R] easing out of Excel

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at dpi.wa.gov.au
Fri Jan 21 05:04:59 CET 2005

I hesitate to add this comment since it either completely confuses people or they take to it very quickly.

The data that you are using is mostly categorical. I expect that tables will have been used in the past and that to acertain extent the graphics are suppossed to help with getting a quick understanding of the data.

There is a package called vcd (Visualizing Categorical Data) which is useful for analysing this type of data. I like the use of the mosaicplot and in particular the shade parameter (which is based on standardized residuals). If set up properly it can be used to very quickly identify sales regions that are doing significantly better than they were last year, customers who have significantly reduced purchases. Basically if you can produce a table that would give this information then a shaded mosaicplot can efficiently highlight the  significant parts of the table.

They take a little bit of getting used to at first, but if you need to analyse this type of data they take a lot of the guess work out of making commentary on the data. How useful they are depends upon the users, who as I have said seem to be polarised in their reactions to the output.

Tom