[R] axis placement with stacked barplots and the asp=1 parameter

Kavithan Siva ksiva at prytania.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 13:09:47 CET 2005

Hi

Here's some example code which illustrates the issue:

dataSeries<-array(0, c(5, 2))

dataSeries[1, 1] <- 5
dataSeries[2, 1] <- 5
dataSeries[3, 1] <- 0
dataSeries[4, 1] <- 2
dataSeries[5, 1] <- 0

dataSeries[1, 2] <- 7
dataSeries[2, 2] <- 0
dataSeries[3, 2] <- 0
dataSeries[4, 2] <- 0
dataSeries[5, 2] <- 1

barplot(dataSeries, asp=1)

Removing the asp=1 parameter produces a correct looking plot. I need to
use the asp=1 parameter because I was re-writing the barplot function to
create stacked charts with rounded corners (instead of rectangles). For
the arc at the corners of the bars to look correct I need asp=1. I've
attached a .ps file to show you what I was trying to achieve.

Thanks
Kav

Kavithan Siva
Prytania Investment Advisors LLP
105 Ladbroke Grove, London, W11 1PG
Tel: +44 20 7616 8475   Fax: +44 20 7616 8472
Prytania Investment Advisors LLP is regulated by the FSA